Re: compiling pgadmin3 on suse 9.3 - Mailing list pgadmin-support

From Dave Page
Subject Re: compiling pgadmin3 on suse 9.3
Date
List pgadmin-support

Hi,

> firstly, i am very new to linux, so forgive me for asking stupid
> questions (it's easy to install in windows. next, next, use defaults,
> finish ;))
>
> i have recently migrated to suse linux 9.3 and have, after
> hearing from
> a friend having problems installing from fedora rpm's (suse 8.2 rpm
> directory on the website gives a 404 error), tried to build
> pgadmin3 on
> my system, following instructions on the website. after several tries
> pgadmin3 is now operational.
>
> upon executing the binary, i get the following error message:
> Cannot convert from the charset '@LOCALE,UTF-8,ISO-8859-2,CP1250'!
>
> after clicking ok, everything seems to work without problems. is this
> message a result of using the "--enable-debug" switch? does
> it go away
> if i were to build without that switch?

Is it a wxAssert message? If so, then yes, it will.

> i also had the same problems as described here
> http://www.mail-archive.com/pgadmin-support@postgresql.org/msg
> 04040.html
>
> which were solved after following dave's hint. is there an
> (easy) way to
> avoid using 'LDFLAGS="-L/usr/lib -lkrb5" ./configure ...'
> every time i
> try to build pgadmin?

Probably, but I'm not a make expert so cannot advise on that.

> pgadmin3 has settled into the /usr/local/pgadmin3 directory. is this
> the same on all systems? what i mean to ask is that the binary
> /usr/local/pgadmin3/bin/pgadmin3 isn't in the default $PATH. i would
> like pgadmin3 to root itself in the /usr/local/bin directory
> (--prefix=/usr/local when configuring). is this generally a bad idea?

Not really - it defaults to /usr/local/pgadmin3 as it's nicely self
contained there. Most of the precompiled distros will go into /usr/local
or /usr.

> and even though i'm a linux newbie i'd like to try to look into
> providing a rpm for suse 9.3, if there is any interest? this seems
> interesting enough to me so i wanna play a bit :) i'll have
> to r some fm
> first though.

Absolutely. There are some platform specific spec files already under
http://svn.pgadmin.org/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/trunk/pgadmin3/pkg/, however
I'd like to use a single file in the future rather than try to maintain
various one. I doubt it will be very difficult - it's just that noone
got round to it yet. If you wanna give it a go it sounds like an ideal
starter project.

Regards, Dave