installation of pgAdmin3 on SuSE8.2

From
b-vol
Date:
Greetings,

I am new to this list.  I  need some help with the installaion of pgAdminIII.
The machine is a PC running SuSE Linux8.2.

I downloaded vxWindows tarball and decompressed it into a directory
:vxWindows-pgAdmin3.  I then run the configure script with the following
settings:

./configure
--with-gtk--enable-gtk2--enable-unicode--disambe-shared--enable-debug

I obtain the following error message:
configure error
Please check that  gtk-config is in the path, the directory where GTK+
libraries are installed (returned by gtk-config --libs' command) in the
LD_LIBRARY PATH or equivalent variable and the GTH+ is version 1.2.3 or
higher.

I installed all the GTK rpms and I checked and found gtk-config in /usr/bin.
I found libglade-config in /opt/gnome/bin.  (The gtk-config --libs command
(last paragraph) show  most are in /usr/lib.) I then made the following
entries in /etc/profile:

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/opt/gnome/lib:/opt/gnome2/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/bin/gtk-config
export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/gnome/bin//libglade-config

Then I restarted the machine, but I still obtained the same error.  Some help
would be appreciated.

Sincerely
CT

Re: installation of pgAdmin3 on SuSE8.2

From
"Mark A. Taff"
Date:
I had the same problems.  Assuming a default SuSE 8.2:

Use YaST to install glib2-devel, pango-devel, atk-devel packages.  I also
reccommend installing a _full_ gnome system, as it will save you headaches
later. :)  Also install the 100dpi fonts.

Then build as per the instructions on the pgadmin website.  If you still have
problems compiling, run: `pkg-config --modversion --debug`.  This will check
a long line of dependencies, and report any dependencies not found, i.e.
package "foo" not found.  Then use YaST to install package "foo".  Continue
in this fashion until all packages are found, then try to recompile from
scratch.

After compiling, add the following lines to /etc/X11/gtk2rc-keramik (as root):

style "defaultfont"
{font_name = "Arial 8"
}
widget_class "*" style "defaultfont"

This controls the font face and size used by pgadmin (and other GTK apps).
Note you will need to close and restart pgadmin3 for the changes in font to
take effect.

Edit /etc/X11/XF86Config so that the line with 100dpi fonts comes before the
line for 75 dpi fonts.  This way X will find the 100 dpi fonts first, and use
them.

Also log into gnome, and change the font dpi to 120 in the font properties
(something like starthere-->desktop properties-->fontproperties-->details)
dialog.  This will help minimize font display differrences between KDE and
Gnome.

This worked for me, YMMV.

Also note that the configure command is case sensitive, and spaces are
important.  It should be:
./configure --with-gtk --enable-gtk2 --enable-unicode --disable-shared
--enable-debug

Regards,
Mark

On Monday 29 September 2003 12:55, b-vol wrote:
> Greetings,
>
> I am new to this list.  I  need some help with the installaion of
> pgAdminIII. The machine is a PC running SuSE Linux8.2.
>
> I downloaded vxWindows tarball and decompressed it into a directory
>
> :vxWindows-pgAdmin3.  I then run the configure script with the following
>
> settings:
>
> ./configure
> --with-gtk--enable-gtk2--enable-unicode--disambe-shared--enable-debug
>
> I obtain the following error message:
> configure error
> Please check that  gtk-config is in the path, the directory where GTK+
> libraries are installed (returned by gtk-config --libs' command) in the
> LD_LIBRARY PATH or equivalent variable and the GTH+ is version 1.2.3 or
> higher.
>

> I installed all the GTK rpms and I checked and found gtk-config in
> /usr/bin. I found libglade-config in /opt/gnome/bin.  (The gtk-config
> --libs command (last paragraph) show  most are in /usr/lib.) I then made
> the following entries in /etc/profile:
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/opt/gnome/lib:/opt/gnome2/lib
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/bin/gtk-config
> export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/gnome/bin//libglade-config
>
> Then I restarted the machine, but I still obtained the same error.  Some
> help would be appreciated.
>
> Sincerely
> CT

Re: installation of pgAdmin3 on SuSE8.2

From
b-vol
Date:
Dear Mark and List Members,

Thanks for your help.  The source installation of vxWindows worked as you
suggested. I installed agnome system as suggested.   After running the
configure script, the foist make  reported some missing  files,  I unhashed
the following lines in /etc/profile

LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/opt/gnome/lib:/opt/gnome2/lib
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH

rebooted and re-run make and the compilation  worked.

I then  encountered a problem when I tried to install pgadmin3.

I downloaded pgadmin3-1.0.0 tarball from the postgresql site.  I decompressed
the tarball and did the following:

1) I ran './configure --enable-static --enable-debug '
2.) I ran  'make all'    and  I received the following:

make[2] : *** [pgadmin3.0] Error 1
make[2]: leaving directory /opt/pgadmin3-1.0.0/src
make[1]: *** [all recursive] Error 1
make[1]: leaving directory /opt/pgadmin3-1.0.0/src
make: ***[all] Error 2

I am using  gcc3.2  (the default with SuSE8.2).  All suggestions are
welcomed.

regards
CT

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 05:20, Mark A. Taff wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > I obtain the following error message:
> > configure error
> > Please check that  gtk-config is in the path, the directory where GTK+
> > libraries are installed (returned by gtk-config --libs' command) in the
> > LD_LIBRARY PATH or equivalent variable and the GTH+ is version 1.2.3 or
> > higher.
> >

> > I installed all the GTK rpms and I checked and found gtk-config in
> > /usr/bin. I found libglade-config in /opt/gnome/bin.  (The gtk-config
> > --libs command (last paragraph) show  most are in /usr/lib.) I then made
> > the following entries in /etc/profile:
> >
> > LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/opt/gnome/lib:/opt/gnome2/lib
> > export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
> > export PATH=${PATH}:/usr/bin/gtk-config
> > export PATH=${PATH}:/opt/gnome/bin//libglade-config
> >
> > Then I restarted the machine, but I still obtained the same error.  Some

Tino Wildenhain
Date:
hi b-vol,

b-vol wrote:
> Dear Mark and List Members,
>
> Thanks for your help.  The source installation of vxWindows worked as you
> suggested. I installed agnome system as suggested.   After running the
> configure script, the foist make  reported some missing  files,  I unhashed
> the following lines in /etc/profile
>
> LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/lib:/opt/gnome/lib:/opt/gnome2/lib
> export LD_LIBRARY_PATH
>
> rebooted and re-run make and the compilation  worked.

Just a word: you dont have to reboot on *nix unless
you do kernel developement. In your case you would
just set the variable in the current shell and or
add it to your .bashrc, .cshrc or whatever and open
a new shell :-)

Btw: it would be nice if you can set a real name on your
mail client.

Re: installation of pgAdmin3 on SuSE8.2

From
b-vol
> Just a word: you dont have to reboot on *nix unless
> you do kernel developement. In your case you would
> just set the variable in the current shell and or
> add it to your .bashrc, .cshrc or whatever and open
> a new shell :-)
I know, I know - it  is  habit I sometime practice.
you wrote:
> Btw: it would be nice if you can set a real name on your
> mail client.
You can address me as Tim

On  main  issue, I wrote:
I downloaded pgadmin3-1.0.0 tarball from the postgresql site.  I decompressed
the tarball and did the following:

1) I ran './configure --enable-static --enable-debug '
2.) I ran  'make all'    and  I received the following:

make[2] : *** [pgadmin3.0] Error 1
make[2]: leaving directory /opt/pgadmin3-1.0.0/src
make[1]: *** [all recursive] Error 1
make[1]: leaving directory /opt/pgadmin3-1.0.0/src
make: ***[all] Error 2

Have you any ideas why the compilation is failing?
I also tried downloading the rpm for suse 8.2 from
http://www.pgadmin.org/pgadmin3/download.php#binaries

but the effort fails half-way through on every attempt.

Suggesions welcomed
Sincerely,
Tim