Translation: Languages

From
Þórhallur Hálfdánarson
Date:
Hi

I thought this was discussed a few days back, but couldn't find the thread and wanted to verify.  Should language names
betranslated? (IMO: no)

CVS snapshot since... two nights ago (?) indicates some to and some do not translate it.

0 tolli:tolli@hyperion ui $ grep Jam */pgadmin3.po
de_DE/pgadmin3.po:msgid "English (Jamaica)"
de_DE/pgadmin3.po:msgstr "Englisch (Jamaika)"
fr_FR/pgadmin3.po:msgid "English (Jamaica)"
fr_FR/pgadmin3.po:msgstr "Anglais (Jamaique)"
hr_HR/pgadmin3.po:msgid "English (Jamaica)"
hr_HR/pgadmin3.po:msgstr "English (Jamaica)"
it_IT/pgadmin3.po:msgid "English (Jamaica)"
ja_JP/pgadmin3.po:msgid "English (Jamaica)"
pl_PL/pgadmin3.po:msgid "English (Jamaica)"
pl_PL/pgadmin3.po:msgstr "Angielski (Jamajka)"
tr_TR/pgadmin3.po:msgid "English (Jamaica)"
tr_TR/pgadmin3.po:msgstr "English (Jamaica)"
zh_CN/pgadmin3.po:msgid "English (Jamaica)"

Perhaps a nota about this should be added to the translation guidelines?

--
Tolli
tolli@tol.li

Re: Translation: Languages

From
"Hiroshi Saito"
Date:
Dear friend.

From: "Þórhallur Hálfdánarson" <tolli@tol.li>

> Hi
>
> I thought this was discussed a few days back, but couldn't find the thread
and wanted to verify.  Should language names be translated? (IMO: no)

> CVS snapshot since... two nights ago (?) indicates some to and some do not
translate it.
(snip)

> Perhaps a nota about this should be added to the translation guidelines?

The thought of me who is not a guidelines.
I didn't think that there was a problem in the beginning
in Japan from the viewpoint of one for the custom with the alphabet
indication.
And, it was there though it thought that it hardly became a problem
on the surface because the locale decision of the early value was smart.

But, UNICODE has a very good future.
pgAdmin3 will satisfy a requirement when it wants to operate it about the
one except for the language which one has.
An expression changes by the use after the choice. A user must understand
the language expression chosen at that time.
At that time, it thought whether a handled person had to understand English
of the base.

up did a translation again for the reason with ja_JP.

Regards,
Hiroshi-Saito

Re: Translation: Languages

From
Andreas Pflug
Date:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>On Wednesday 16 July 2003 03:09, Haller Hálfdánarson wrote:
>

>>CVS snapshot since... two nights ago (?) indicates some to and some do not
>>translate it.
>>

>Language names are extracted automatically. I would prefer a solution where
>only the translated names appear: fr_FR Français, en_US English, de_DE
>Deutsch... But this is not possible as the menu is displayed in one font. All
>languages cannot be displayed in one Unicode font. So the problem remains...
>
>I don't have a clear opinion yet. To save translator time, it may be
>preferable to keep the English names for languages.

Right, but for a minimum, at least the native language name must be
translated.

>Before we do, could we have more input on the technical side. Is it possible
>to avoid the extraction of language names?

The language names are extracted from a file that's put into the
pgadmin3 source tree for that sole purpose. It just would have to be
removed to avoid extraction. But it's certainly there on purpose...
When starting pgadmin3 for the first time, the language selection is
presented in the default locale, assuming that the user should be able
to handle the system language. So if a Japanese sits in front of a
Islandic machine, and he succeeds starting pgadmin3, he should be able
to locate his preferred language in the selection. Ultimatively, the
locale canonical name is always displayed, so if you messed up
something, you'd still be able to locate some known language.

At the moment, language names are taken from internal wxWindows
structures, by iterating the languages being present. These names are
stored english, and are translated with standard gettext. Another
approach would be to have an own list of languages, with pre-translated
strings in it. This would enable us to display every language name in
its native language right from the start.

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Translation: Languages

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:
On Wednesday 16 July 2003 10:33, Andreas Pflug wrote:
> Another
> approach would be to have an own list of languages, with pre-translated
> strings in it. This would enable us to display every language name in
> its native language right from the start.

This is my preferred approach. Translating languages is not interesting
because you will look for your native tongue in your native language.

It is acceptable to display a list of 40 languages (I hope :), with some not
displaying well, if the user can switch the list back to English and select
the font interactively. At least, it will make sure pgAdmin3 translation
displays well in a chosen language.

Cheers,
Jean-Michel

Re: Translation: Languages

From
Jean-Michel POURE
Date:

Date:
Jean-Michel POURE wrote:

>On Wednesday 16 July 2003 10:33, Andreas Pflug wrote:
>

>>Another
>>approach would be to have an own list of languages, with pre-translated
>>strings in it. This would enable us to display every language name in
>>its native language right from the start.
>>

>This is my preferred approach. Translating languages is not interesting
>because you will look for your native tongue in your native language.
>
>It is acceptable to display a list of 40 languages (I hope :), with some not
>displaying well, if the user can switch the list back to English and select
>the font interactively. At least, it will make sure pgAdmin3 translation
>displays well in a chosen language.

I added the file ui/pgadmin3.lng, which contains the full names as
wxWindows knows them, together with the native translation. I copied all
translation if available from the corresponding *.po file. On my Linux
system, all language names display well, except for Farsi; the arabic
font seems to be defective, being defined to consume much more space
then it actually does. Hopefully, the Farsi and Arabic users have a
better font. On win32, the font is ok.

Each translator should state which exact language version he supports,
including specification of the land (or lands), and provide the
translation. To make translation of the language name easier, I provided
a languages.po file, including all language names. Translators may use
the languages.po file (attached), and send it back with just the native
name translated. We'll add this to the pgadmin3.lng file.

For some unknown reason, the file didn't go to cvsroot/pgadmin3, but to
cvsroot itself. I can't see why this happened, AFAICS wincvs did
everything right. Dave, can you have a look at languages.hwx (source)
and languages.po and move it to the right place?

Regards,
Andreas

Re: Translation: Languages

From