[GENERAL] Re: Causeless CPU load waves in backend, on windows, 9.5.5 (EDBbinary). - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Thomas Kellerer
Subject [GENERAL] Re: Causeless CPU load waves in backend, on windows, 9.5.5 (EDBbinary).
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Re: Causeless CPU load waves in backend, on windows,9.5.5 (EDB binary).  (Nikolai Zhubr <n-a-zhubr@yandex.ru>)
List pgsql-general
Nikolai Zhubr schrieb am 13.02.2017 um 23:03:
> Maybe I should have been more specific.
> What I need is debugging/profiling pure communication side of server
> operation, implying huge lots of requests and replies going over the
> wire to and from the server within some continued (valid) session,
> but so that the server is not actually doing anything above that (no
> sql, no locking, no synchronizing, zero usefull activity, just
> pumping network I/O)

If you are willing to drop the "no sql" requirement you could use something like

     select rpad('*', 100000000, '*');

this will send a lot of data over the wire, the SQL overhead should be fairly small.

You can send more data if you combine that with e.g. generate_series()