Re: [GENERAL] Re: Causeless CPU load waves in backend, on windows,9.5.5 (EDB binary). - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Nikolai Zhubr
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: Causeless CPU load waves in backend, on windows,9.5.5 (EDB binary).
Date
List pgsql-general
14.02.2017 1:10, Thomas Kellerer:
> Nikolai Zhubr schrieb am 13.02.2017 um 23:03:
>> Maybe I should have been more specific.
>> What I need is debugging/profiling pure communication side of server
>> operation, implying huge lots of requests and replies going over the
>> wire to and from the server within some continued (valid) session,
>> but so that the server is not actually doing anything above that (no
>> sql, no locking, no synchronizing, zero usefull activity, just
>> pumping network I/O)
>>

> If you are willing to drop the "no sql" requirement you could use
> something like
>
> select rpad('*', 100000000, '*');
>
> this will send a lot of data over the wire, the SQL overhead should be
> fairly small.

Well yes, but I've been there already.
Now I'd like to locate a CPU eater more precisely - supposedly there is
some issue with communication, that is why I don't want to mix in
anything else.

Anyway, I've now got pretty sure the standard protocol out of the box
does not provide such short-circuite capability so I'll have to hack it
a bit.

Regards,
Nikolai