Re: [GENERAL] Re: Causeless CPU load waves in backend, on windows,9.5.5 (EDB binary). - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Mead
Subject Re: [GENERAL] Re: Causeless CPU load waves in backend, on windows,9.5.5 (EDB binary).
Date
List pgsql-general

On Mon, Feb 13, 2017 at 5:10 PM, Thomas Kellerer <spam_eater@gmx.net> wrote:
Nikolai Zhubr schrieb am 13.02.2017 um 23:03:
Maybe I should have been more specific.
What I need is debugging/profiling pure communication side of server
operation, implying huge lots of requests and replies going over the
wire to and from the server within some continued (valid) session,
but so that the server is not actually doing anything above that (no
sql, no locking, no synchronizing, zero usefull activity, just
pumping network I/O)

My personal favorite is 'select 1'

   I know you're not looking for SQL, but, you gotta start somewhere...

If you are willing to drop the "no sql" requirement you could use something like

    select rpad('*', 100000000, '*');

this will send a lot of data over the wire, the SQL overhead should be fairly small.

You can send more data if you combine that with e.g. generate_series()