Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck)
Subject Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots
Date
Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots  (wieck@debis.com (Jan Wieck))
Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Vince Vielhaber wrote:

> Must have been a long time ago.  Can I just do a cvs release or
> something like that?  I do all my work on hub.

    I don't know about such a command. And the real problem seems
    to me that there  are  multiple  maintainers  that  treat  it
    differently.

    The  content  provided on the net should NOT be a checked out
    working copy. Any maintainter of the files should  have  it's
    own  checkout local, ideally at a location where a web server
    can present it (like an apache virtual host).  The  files  on
    the  web site should be updated automatically by CVS rules at
    commit time.

    In this setup, one could test changes local until anything is
    O.K.  and  do  a  commit  that automatically presents all the
    changes at once to the world.

    An advance is, that if you want to do heavy modifications  to
    a couple of files, you could do a

        cvs admin -l <file> [...]

    and  be  sure,  noone else can do a commit until you're done.
    Well, another user  could  explicitly  break  the  lock  with
    another "cvs admin -l", but then you, as the original locker,
    are notified via mail about it.  If you ensure that there  is
    at  least  a little modification in the locked file (adding a
    space somewhere immediately after locking it), you  are  sure
    that  the  next  commit  will checkin a new revision. At this
    time, the lock implicitly is done and the  file  is  unlocked
    again. Otherwise you must do an explicit

        cvs admin -u <file> [...]

    to  release the lock with no changes made. And that bears the
    risk of forgetting locks.

    I'll play around a little with CVS rules (don't know  exactly
    how to set them up but I know that they exist). Will tell you
    later if this is something worth to try.

Jan