Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Vince Vielhaber
Subject Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshots
Date
Re: [HACKERS] missing mugshotsu  (Bruce Momjian <maillist@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
On 31-Oct-99 Jan Wieck wrote:
> Vince Vielhaber wrote:
>
>> Must have been a long time ago.  Can I just do a cvs release or
>> something like that?  I do all my work on hub.
>
>     I don't know about such a command. And the real problem seems
>     to me that there  are  multiple  maintainers  that  treat  it
>     differently.
>
>     The  content  provided on the net should NOT be a checked out
>     working copy. Any maintainter of the files should  have  it's
>     own  checkout local, ideally at a location where a web server
>     can present it (like an apache virtual host).  The  files  on
>     the  web site should be updated automatically by CVS rules at
>     commit time.
>
>     In this setup, one could test changes local until anything is
>     O.K.  and  do  a  commit  that automatically presents all the
>     changes at once to the world.
>
>     An advance is, that if you want to do heavy modifications  to
>     a couple of files, you could do a
>
>         cvs admin -l <file> [...]
>
>     and  be  sure,  noone else can do a commit until you're done.
>     Well, another user  could  explicitly  break  the  lock  with
>     another "cvs admin -l", but then you, as the original locker,
>     are notified via mail about it.  If you ensure that there  is
>     at  least  a little modification in the locked file (adding a
>     space somewhere immediately after locking it), you  are  sure
>     that  the  next  commit  will checkin a new revision. At this
>     time, the lock implicitly is done and the  file  is  unlocked
>     again. Otherwise you must do an explicit
>
>         cvs admin -u <file> [...]
>
>     to  release the lock with no changes made. And that bears the
>     risk of forgetting locks.
>
>     I'll play around a little with CVS rules (don't know  exactly
>     how to set them up but I know that they exist). Will tell you
>     later if this is something worth to try.

Congrats Jan.  You lost me.  AFAIK that's how the website works - at least
as long as I've been maintaining it.  The thing that's not maintained that
way is the news and announcements which I maintain via a web based tool.
Bruce and Tom (Lockhart) maintain the docs pages.  Or am I missing something
totally obvious?

Vince.
Vince Vielhaber -- KA8CSH   email: vev@michvhf.com   flame-mail: /dev/null # include <std/disclaimers.h>       Have you
seenhttp://www.pop4.net?       Online Campground Directory    http://www.camping-usa.com      Online Giftshop