Re: Splitting queries across servers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From William Yu
Subject Re: Splitting queries across servers
Date
List pgsql-general
Max wrote:
> That would be quite an investment. Interesting. I wonder if we should put
> windows or linux on it, since postgresql 8.0 works on windows.
>
> What OS are you running on your quad opteron ?

Well here's one thing that you can bank on. You can get 64-bit Linux now
while 64-bit Windows is still beta. (The word is that 64-bit Windows is
pretty stable except for the lack of drivers but I'd still feel queazy
about spending this much money to run a beta OS.)

And you absolutely want a 64-bit OS with that much memory. Even on our
development server with just 3GB of RAM, we see quite big jumps in
performance after moving from 32-bit Linux to 64-bit Linux. I'd hate to
think about 64GB of RAM being swapped in and out using PAE.