Re: Splitting queries across servers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From PFC
Subject Re: Splitting queries across servers
Date
Re: Splitting queries across servers  (Mike Rylander <mrylander@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-general
> Thanks for reminding me that 64bit translates to: recompile everything
> you
> need!
>
> I think this is exactly the choice of configuration we are going to make.
> Someone just reminded me that windows and linux come down to the same
> performance, but that the real overhead is on maintenance. It's true that
> linux implies less downtime, and you can always upgrade. On top of that,
> there's more granularity control on linux.

    I won't say anything on linux vs windows performance (although I sure do
have an opinion), but simply keep in mind that postgres on window is young
and postgres on linux is vary mature ; therefore one is likely to have a
lot more performance refinements than the other.

    Also Linux is not that harder to administer (especially gentoo). After
all, all you want is a DB server, you'll install few software. Not like if
you needed 50 different apps.

    In your case recompiling everything is also a bonus because you'll be
sure that everything is 64-bit optimized down to the last driver.
    I wonder how long your killer machine will take to compile the whole OS.
And Postgres too... could you post that ?

    If you are concerned about security, you can compile everything with the
stack protector (Propolice SSP) enabled. It's extremely advisable. All the
other options like grsec et al are nice but require careful thinking,
propolice just needs to be activated. If you don't know what it is I'll
post docs.