Re: Splitting queries across servers - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Max
Subject Re: Splitting queries across servers
Date
Re: Splitting queries across servers  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
> And you absolutely want a 64-bit OS with that much memory. Even on our
> development server with just 3GB of RAM, we see quite big jumps in
> performance after moving from 32-bit Linux to 64-bit Linux. I'd hate to
> think about 64GB of RAM being swapped in and out using PAE.

What's PAE ?

Here's a question for the developers: what's the memory consumption
difference when you move a 3GB database from a 32 bit machine to a 64 ?
given that the whole thing must be in RAM.

Isn't the whole data taking up more RAM because pointers are now 64 bits
instead of 32 ?

Max