Re: Locking question? - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Shoaib Mir
Subject Re: Locking question?
Date
List pgsql-general
There is such timeout from the database server for the idle connections but yes you can always use firewall settings in order to do that and kill idle connections.

--
Shoaib Mir
EnterpriseDB ( www.enterprisedb.com)

On 2/6/07, Gurjeet Singh <singh.gurjeet@gmail.com> wrote:
On 1/30/07, Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@commandprompt.com> wrote:
Shoaib Mir wrote:
> While debugging an application, I just wanted to confirm from the list here:
>
> Suppose I have a long running transaction which has a few updates and
> inserts running on some specific tables which means it has acquired
> Exclusive locks too during the transaction on specific table but if just
> before commit the client app crashes and the commit is never sent, will the
> Exclusive locks be automatically released?

Yes  (assuming the backend dies in the process, which may not happen if
the app dies silently and while not waiting for anything from the
server).

Do you mean that the Ex-lock will be held indefinitely in the following situation"

i) Appln. acquires Exclusive lock.
ii) Appln. sleeps or is interacting with human.
ii) Appln. crashes.

Doesn't the backend kill itself if it detects that the other side of the communincation channel has gone down?

--
gurjeet[.singh]@EnterpriseDB.com
singh.gurjeet@{ gmail | hotmail | yahoo }.com