Re: Upgrade 96 -> 11 - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adrian Klaver
Subject Re: Upgrade 96 -> 11
Date
List pgsql-general
On 9/2/19 2:45 PM, James Sewell wrote:

> On Tue, 3 Sep 2019 at 7:41 am, Adrian Klaver <adrian.klaver@aklaver.com
>
>     On 9/2/19 2:20 PM, James Sewell wrote:
>
>      >
>      >     So this is a separate cluster from the one you used
>     pg_upgrade on?
>      >
>      >
>      > In that case yes it was seperate
>      >
>      >
>      >
>      >     In other words when doing pg_upgrade you could not get a working
>      >     cluster, correct?
>      >
>      >
>      > Pg_upgrade does not complete - but as it hasn’t started migrating
>     data I
>      > can start it and it’s fine (except for postgis which is now in a
>     partial
>      > install state)
>
>     Now I will actually respond to list:)
>
>     So from your original post:
>
>     1) "The tablename table gets created causing the above error"
>
>     Is 'tablename' a user table or part of PostGIS?
>

> The tablename table is a user table, spatial_ref_sys is a postgis table.

I am going to assume then that it has to do with this:
"LINE 39:     "location_pt" "public"."geography"(Point,4283), "

What is the above pointing to?

>     2) "Both the versions have PostGIS 2.5.1 installed and working"
>
>     How do you know it is working on the 11 version?
>

> By version I mean 11 - I can init a new cluster and it’s fine
>
> The more I look at this it seems like:
>
> A) pg_upgrade somehow creates postgis without supporting tables

So you see a CREATE EXTENSION postgis?

Is there anything in the logs that pertains to the above?

> B) while the tables would be created from the schema dump files, they
> happen too late

What happens if you use pg_dump from version 11 against the 9.6 cluster
with the -s and -p?

Does it shows the schema creation in the order you need?

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian.klaver@aklaver.com