Re: database design ... - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ben
Subject Re: database design ...
Date
RE : Re: database design ...  (Desmond Coughlan <coughlandesmond@yahoo.fr>)
List pgsql-general
It depends how you plan to use it?

Maybe a helpful excercise for you to go through is to come up with some
use cases and see if you are storing all the data you'll need in a way
that makes it easy for you to use.

On Tue, 14 Nov 2006, Desmond Coughlan wrote:

>  Hi,
>  Thanks for all the help: we have our postgreSQL server on a 'backend' machine, and the client on a webserver.
>
>  The application I want to develop is a school library, and as this is new to me, I come looking for ideas.  Here's
whatI've done: on the backend, two users (in addition to 'pgsql'): dba and 'cdi' (the name of the library, as in the
_premises_where the library is located).  I create a database 'library', owned by dba, but with cdi having update
privileges(but not 'drop table' etc).

>  'library' has four tables...
>
>  1. users (with user_ids, surname, first_name, dob, address etc...)
>  2. stock (stock_id, ISBN, title...)
>  3. loans (loan_id, stock_id [foreign key to stock_id], date_due)...
>
>  Is there anything else that such a db would need ?
>
>  Thanks.
>
>  D.

> Découvrez une nouvelle façon d'obtenir des réponses à toutes vos questions ! Profitez des connaissances, des opinions
etdes expériences des internautes sur Yahoo! Questions/Réponses.