Re: Trouble migrating from PostgreSQL --> Oracle - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Trouble migrating from PostgreSQL --> Oracle
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, 2006-11-14 at 06:08 -0800, matthew.d.williams@gmail.com wrote:

> The software came with scripts to create the owners, tables and
> permissions in Oracle but when using "pgAdmin" (Windows client being
> used to administer the PostgreSQL database at the moment) export
> feature which dumps the entire database in form of insert statements,
> seems to not carry over everything we need (lots of data is missing
> from the application).

"Missing"? That's not very descriptive. It may be some kind of
permissions problem (i.e. maybe PgAdmin is connecting as a user that
doesn't have permissions to read all the data). Use pg_dump if you still
have problems with PgAdmin, and make sure you're connecting as a user
with enough privileges.

> Can anyone recommend a clear cut way to migrate the data over?  We're
> generating and importing a text file with almost a gig worth of import

1GB is not much data (especially in the form of INSERTs). Are you having
performance problems with the PostgreSQL DB? This might be a good
opportunity for you to learn some PostgreSQL ;-)

> statements but we're figuring there has to be a easier way that will
> not only bring over all the data but do it more effeciently as well.

You can export data as INSERTs or delimited form using pg_dump.

Hope this helps,
    Jeff Davis