Re: Prestige users - Mailing list pgsql-advocacy

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: Prestige users
Date
Re: Prestige users
Re: Prestige users
Re: Prestige users
List pgsql-advocacy
On Tue, 4 May 2004, Bruce wrote:

> We've got a raging debate going on now on whether we should move from a
> Foxpro back end to either PostgreSQL or MySQL.
>
> It's an accounting application and I feel that Postgres would be the better
> choice. Some other people (like my boss) thinks that MySQL would be better
> choice. His reasoning is that MySQL gets more publicity so it must be
> better. He says that since the Sabre airline reservation system and Yahoo
> run with MySQL, they are the best. Period.
>
> I'm sure Postgres has a couple prestige organizations that use database. If
> I could come up with some big names, I'm pretty sure we could make everyone
> into believers. Unfortunately, the only thing close to a "name" on the
> website is the company BSAF.
>
> Do you know any other well-known names?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Just try this simple test in MySQL and see if the boss still thinks it's
suitable for accounting:

mysql> create table test (i1 int, n1 numeric(8,2));
Query OK, 0 rows affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> insert into test values (10000000000000,100000000000.345678);
Query OK, 1 row affected (0.00 sec)

mysql> select * from test;
| i1         | n1         |
| 2147483647 | 9999999.99 |