Re: The folding of unquoted names to lower case in PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From scott.marlowe
Subject Re: The folding of unquoted names to lower case in PostgreSQL
Date
Re: The folding of unquoted names to lower case in PostgreSQL  (Andrew Sullivan <andrew@libertyrms.info>)
List pgsql-general
On Fri, 14 Mar 2003, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Do you have as much trouble reading those all-uppercase queries as I do?
>
> Yeah, I hate 'em.  It's well established that lowercase text is more
> readable than uppercase.  I think it's okay style to upcase a few
> critical keywords like SELECT, FROM, WHERE, but beyond that give me
> lowercase ...
>
> But quite aside from questions of taste, we'd need an answer to the
> backwards-compatibility problems before we could think about this.
> Switching to the spec's notions about case would make autocommit look
> like a nonissue :-(

I'm strictly talking about a setting that would only be used on systems
being used to port from databases that fold to uppercase like Oracle.  I
wouldn't want any changes that affected folks who didn't turn on the
option, only those who did.

For what I need, a hack that basically folded to upper everything that
didn't start with pg_ would work fine.  Now that catalogs live in the
pg_catalog schema, I could just treat anything in the pg_catalog to be
fold to lower, while everything else would fold to upper.

Would that be an acceptable kludge, or would we want the catalog to be
folded to upper in those cases too?  I can't see a reason for doing it
that way, since I doubt anyone porting Oracle sql code is gonna be messing
with the catalogs as well.