Possible bug in postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Rich Shepard
Subject Possible bug in postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG
Date
Re: Possible bug in postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG  ("Brett W. McCoy" <bmccoy@chapelperilous.net>)
List pgsql-general
  I've tried upgrading the installation on our RH 6.2 network from 7.1.0 to
7.1.3 by rebuilding the source rpm. All this goes well, but when I try to
start the postmaster (as user 'postgres') I see this error:

[postgres@salmo rshepard]$ postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data/
FATAL 2:  open("/var/lib/pgsql/data//global/pg_control") failed: No such
file or directory

  I don't understand the double forward slash, however, pg_control _is_ in
/var/lib/pgsql/data.

  What might you suggest I do to to get past this problem of getting the
postmaster running again so postgres is usable here?

  I did see a reference -- somewhere -- saying that this was a known upgrade
bug and the web sites had a solution. But, I can't find that solution when I
go looking for it.

Many thanks,

Rich

Dr. Richard B. Shepard, President