Re: Possible bug in postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: Possible bug in postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG
Date
List pgsql-general
Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> writes:
> [postgres@salmo rshepard]$ postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data/
> FATAL 2:  open("/var/lib/pgsql/data//global/pg_control") failed: No such
> file or directory

>   I don't understand the double forward slash, however, pg_control _is_ in
> /var/lib/pgsql/data.

Well, I can explain that: it's because you have an unnecessary ending
slash in your -D parameter.  The code just concatenates "/global/pg_control"
to whatever you typed.

However, I doubt that saying
    postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data
will help --- every Unix I've ever dealt with treats two consecutive
slashes the same as one, just because it makes it a lot easier to be
sloppy about building pathnames ...

>   I did see a reference -- somewhere -- saying that this was a known upgrade
> bug and the web sites had a solution.

Doesn't ring a bell with me offhand.  Can you find that reference again?

            regards, tom lane