Re: Possible bug in postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Brett W. McCoy
Subject Re: Possible bug in postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG
Date
List pgsql-general
On Thu, 18 Oct 2001, Rich Shepard wrote:

>   I've tried upgrading the installation on our RH 6.2 network from 7.1.0 to
> 7.1.3 by rebuilding the source rpm. All this goes well, but when I try to
> start the postmaster (as user 'postgres') I see this error:
>
> [postgres@salmo rshepard]$ postgres -D /var/lib/pgsql/data/
> FATAL 2:  open("/var/lib/pgsql/data//global/pg_control") failed: No such
> file or directory

Are you really trying to run the postgres executable here, or postmaster?
You shouldn't try to run postgres directly, unless you only want a single
instance of the server backend running.  Better to let postmaster handle
it.  I think you want:

postmaster -D /var/lib/pgsql/data

Alternatively, you can set the environment variable PGDATA to the location
of your datastore, and you don't to set the -D option.

>   I don't understand the double forward slash, however, pg_control _is_ in
> /var/lib/pgsql/data.

I think it prepends the slash by default, and you had specified the data
directory with a trailing slash.

-- Brett
                                          http://www.chapelperilous.net/
Peace be to this house, and all that dwell in it.