Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Alex Knight
Subject Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL  (Lamar Owen <lamar.owen@wgcr.org>)
Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL  (teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød))
List pgsql-general
1) Distribution of Linux to have the largest number of "out of the box"
security holes. Check back and look at the security reports. Count them if
you insist.

2) Most commercial software made _for_ RedHat (some companies only
"support" RedHat) insist that you use RPM to install their software,
otherwise you are SOL. Most commercial software made _for_ _Linux_
supports all distributions.

3) So much extra crap running to begin with, eating up extra memory, cpu,
etc. (Yeah, sure you can spend time securing and setting up the box to not
run what it shouldn't be... _OR_ you can save that wasted time (it adds up
when you are setting up 30 production machines) and run a quality
distribution like Debian or even Slackware)

I'm sure we could go on, but this isn't a Linux list :)

Now back to our regularly scheduled database discussion.

-Knight