Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Adam Haberlach
Subject Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date
Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL  (Bruce Momjian <pgman@candle.pha.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 01:43:00PM -0700, Alex Knight wrote:
> 1) Distribution of Linux to have the largest number of "out of the box"
> security holes. Check back and look at the security reports. Count them if
> you insist.
>
> 3) So much extra crap running to begin with, eating up extra memory, cpu,
> etc. (Yeah, sure you can spend time securing and setting up the box to not
> run what it shouldn't be... _OR_ you can save that wasted time (it adds up
> when you are setting up 30 production machines) and run a quality
> distribution like Debian or even Slackware)

    I'm just sticking these together because they are really the same issue,
and an administrative one, not engineering.

    You can set up your machines however you wish.  While I generally prefer
Debian for standalone systems because dselect makes it easy to add and remove
things without spending a lot of time looking for other files, I've found that
recent Red Hat is very manageable, especially if you are building a custom
installation or your own .rpm files.

    It all boils down to how much time you want to spend dealing with your
installation and how custom you want it.  For a moderate fee, I'll build you a
Red Hat kickstart CD that includes exactly what you want and doesn't start so
much stuff "out of the box".  For a lesser fee I'll tell you how.  For free,
you can learn.  Yes, the default install puts a lot of crap most people don't
want on the system.  Defaults are typically not production settings.

> 2) Most commercial software made _for_ RedHat (some companies only
> "support" RedHat) insist that you use RPM to install their software,
> otherwise you are SOL. Most commercial software made _for_ _Linux_
> supports all distributions.

    So?

[Note: this is going to be my only comment on the subject of distributions, since
it is even further away from the scope of this list then the support of
PostgreSQL by Red Hat]

--
Adam Haberlach            | "Pancakes don't make hardly any juice
adam@newsnipple.com       |  and bacon makes too much."