Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-general

From teg@redhat.com (Trond Eivind Glomsrød)
Subject Re: Re: Red Hat to support PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-general
Alex Knight <knight@phunc.com> writes:

> 1) Distribution of Linux to have the largest number of "out of the box"
> security holes. Check back and look at the security reports. Count them if
> you insist.

And check for the number of them being Red Hat specific.

> 2) Most commercial software made _for_ RedHat (some companies only
> "support" RedHat) insist that you use RPM to install their software,
> otherwise you are SOL. Most commercial software made _for_ _Linux_
> supports all distributions.

That depends very much on the level of support you're giving - for a
big, complex you want to support as few environments as possible. You
can use it other places, but won't be supported to the same degree.

> 3) So much extra crap running to begin with, eating up extra memory, cpu,
> etc.

You're obviously unfamiliar with it.

> I'm sure we could go on, but this isn't a Linux list :)

Agreed. And of course, it isn't very interesting to discuss with
someone who is unfamiliar with the product.

--
Trond Eivind Glomsrød
Red Hat, Inc.