RE: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com
Subject RE: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Friday, December 2, 2022 4:59 PM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here are my review comments for patch v54-0001.

Thanks for the comments!

> ======
>
> FILE: .../replication/logical/applyparallelworker.c
>
> 1b.
>
> + *
> + * This file contains routines that are intended to support setting up,
> + using
> + * and tearing down a ParallelApplyWorkerInfo which is required to
> + communicate
> + * among leader and parallel apply workers.
>
> "that are intended to support" -> "for"

I find the current word is consistent with the comments atop vacuumparallel.c and
execParallel.c. So didn't change this one.

> 3. pa_setup_dsm
>
> +/*
> + * Set up a dynamic shared memory segment.
> + *
> + * We set up a control region that contains a fixed-size worker info
> + * (ParallelApplyWorkerShared), a message queue, and an error queue.
> + *
> + * Returns true on success, false on failure.
> + */
> +static bool
> +pa_setup_dsm(ParallelApplyWorkerInfo *winfo)
>
> IMO that's confusing to say "fixed-sized worker info" when it's referring to the
> ParallelApplyWorkerShared structure and not the other
> ParallelApplyWorkerInfo.
>
> Might be better to say:
>
> "a fixed-size worker info (ParallelApplyWorkerShared)" -> "a fixed-size struct
> (ParallelApplyWorkerShared)"

The ParallelApplyWorkerShared is also kind of information that shared
between workers. So, I am fine with current word. Or maybe just "fixed-size info" ?

> ~~~
>
> 12. pa_clean_subtrans
>
> +/* Reset the list that maintains subtransactions. */ void
> +pa_clean_subtrans(void)
> +{
> + subxactlist = NIL;
> +}
>
> Maybe a more informative function name would be pa_reset_subxactlist()?

I thought the current name is more consistent with pa_start_subtrans.

> ~~~
>
> 17. apply_handle_stream_stop
>
> + case TRANS_PARALLEL_APPLY:
> + elog(DEBUG1, "applied %u changes in the streaming chunk",
> + parallel_stream_nchanges);
> +
> + /*
> + * By the time parallel apply worker is processing the changes in
> + * the current streaming block, the leader apply worker may have
> + * sent multiple streaming blocks. This can lead to parallel apply
> + * worker start waiting even when there are more chunk of streams
> + * in the queue. So, try to lock only if there is no message left
> + * in the queue. See Locking Considerations atop
> + * applyparallelworker.c.
> + */
>
> SUGGESTION (minor rewording)
>
> By the time the parallel apply worker is processing the changes in the current
> streaming block, the leader apply worker may have sent multiple streaming
> blocks. To the parallel apply from waiting unnecessarily, try to lock only if there
> is no message left in the queue. See Locking Considerations atop
> applyparallelworker.c.

Didn't change this one according to Amit's comment.

> 21. apply_worker_clean_exit
>
> I wasn't sure if calling this a 'clean' exit meant anything much.
>
> How about:
> - apply_worker_proc_exit, or
> - apply_worker_exit

I thought the clean means the exit number is 0(proc_exit(0)) and is
not due to any ERROR, I am not sure If proc_exit or exit is better.

I have addressed other comments in the new version patch.

Best regards,
Hou zj