RE: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From houzj.fnst@fujitsu.com
Subject RE: Perform streaming logical transactions by background workers and parallel apply
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Friday, December 2, 2022 7:27 PM Kuroda, Hayato/黒田 隼人 <kuroda.hayato@fujitsu.com> wroteL

> Dear Hou,
>
> Thanks for making the patch. Followings are my comments for v54-0003 and
> 0004.

Thanks for the comments!

> 0003
>
> pa_free_worker()
>
> +       /* Unlink any files that were needed to serialize partial changes. */
> +       if (winfo->serialize_changes)
> +               stream_cleanup_files(MyLogicalRepWorker->subid,
> winfo->shared->xid);
> +
>
> I think this part is not needed, because the LA cannot reach here if
> winfo->serialize_changes is true. Moreover stream_cleanup_files() is done in
> pa_free_worker_info().

Removed.

> LogicalParallelApplyLoop()
>
> The parallel apply worker wakes up every 0.1s even if we are in the
> PARTIAL_SERIALIZE mode. Do you have idea to reduce that?

The parallel apply worker usually will wait on the stream lock after entering
PARTIAL_SERIALIZE mode.

> ```
> +                       pa_spooled_messages();
> ```
>
> Comments are needed here, like "Changes may be serialize...".

Added.

> pa_stream_abort()
>
> ```
> +                               /*
> +                                * Reopen the file and set the file position to
> the saved
> +                                * position.
> +                                */
> +                               if (reopen_stream_fd)
> +                               {
> +                                       char            path[MAXPGPATH];
> +
> +                                       changes_filename(path,
> MyLogicalRepWorker->subid, xid);
> +                                       stream_fd =
> BufFileOpenFileSet(&MyParallelShared->fileset,
> +
> path, O_RDONLY, false);
> +                                       BufFileSeek(stream_fd, fileno, offset,
> SEEK_SET);
> +                               }
> ```
>
> MyParallelShared->serialize_changes may be used instead of reopen_stream_fd.

These codes have been removed.

> ```
> +                       /*
> +                        * It is possible that while sending this change to
> parallel apply
> +                        * worker we need to switch to serialize mode.
> +                        */
> +                       if (winfo->serialize_changes)
> +                               pa_set_fileset_state(winfo->shared,
> FS_READY);
> ```
>
> There are three same parts in the code, can we combine them to common part?

These codes have been slightly refactored.

> apply_spooled_messages()
>
> ```
> +               /*
> +                * Break the loop if the parallel apply worker has finished
> applying
> +                * the transaction. The parallel apply worker should have closed
> the
> +                * file before committing.
> +                */
> +               if (am_parallel_apply_worker() &&
> +                       MyParallelShared->xact_state ==
> PARALLEL_TRANS_FINISHED)
> +                       goto done;
> ```
>
> I thnk pfree(buffer) and pfree(s2.data) should not be skippied.
> And this part should be at below "nchanges++;"

buffer, s2.data were allocated in the toplevel transaction's context and it
will be automatically freed soon when handling STREAM COMMIT.

> 0004
>
> set_subscription_retry()
>
> ```
> +       LockSharedObject(SubscriptionRelationId, MySubscription->oid, 0,
> +                                        AccessShareLock);
> +
> ```
>
> I think AccessExclusiveLock should be aquired instead of AccessShareLock.
> In AlterSubscription(), LockSharedObject(AccessExclusiveLock) seems to be
> used.

Changed.

Best regards,
Hou zj