Re: FYI: How we use PostgreSQL - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Christopher Kings-Lynne
Subject Re: FYI: How we use PostgreSQL
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> Agreed!  We have a similar success story with our client Flower.com.  This
> system is completely based on postgresql, and although we are generally
> doing more simple queries on the frontend site - postgresql backs all of
> our CRM and Analytical apps without a hitch.
>
> Postgres has saved our client's money and it keeps morale up at our
> company because everyone enjoys postgres so much.
>
> Excellent Work Postgres Dev Team!

Well if we're doing the 'success stories' thing...

I'm the Lead Programmer for the Family Health Network - a group responsible
for www.dietclub.com.au and www.calorieking.com and others.  Both these
sites are rapidly getting more and more popular.  PostgreSQL is an essential
part of our enterprise - as we are a small business and Oracle is
ridiculously expensive.  Plus, I'd be forced to use smelly old Linux instead
of our much-beloved FreeBSD :)

We started out using MySQL, but soon realised that it simply could not do
things that Posgres could - and put waaay too much work in the hands of our
web programmers.  (App programmers shouldn't have to worry about referential
integrity, etc.).

We run 7.1.3 on both servers, and are going to go to 7.2 in Australia when
it comes out.  If it's a nice, stable release (which it sure looks like it's
going to be!) it will be rolled out in the USA as well.

The things that we need most from postgres in the future is better schema
manipulation.  I know the standard response to questions like 'why can't I
drop a column' and 'why can't I change a column to be NULL' is usually
"design your schema right in the first place", however our industry moves
very quickly and our initial schemas always need some refinement as new
features are added.

I can't emphasise enough how great Postgres has been for us!!!  (I've
converted all my MySQL friends :) )

Chris