FYI: How we use PostgreSQL

From
mlw
Date:
Hi, I just want you guys to know how great PostgreSQL really is.

At www.dmn.com, we use PostgreSQL and Oracle. The original plan called for
Oracle, but over time systems have been scaled, and to do the scaling, we use
PostgreSQL on Linux.

We have a music information system, using a commercial database data and public
music information, we handle a couple million queries a day. In addition, this
system, using custom code and Postgres on two load balanced machines, can
identify 200 different pieces of music a second and still handle the sites
needs.

We have a recommendations system which is based on PostgreSQL.

Our back end administration system is PostgreSQL.

If you get a chance to hop over to http://www.dmn.com, and see a real slick
website irrevocably tied to PostgreSQL. In over a year of using PostgreSQL on
this site, we have never had a live database failure.

If we had used Oracle to accomplish what we have done with PostgreSQL, we would
have been out of business trying to pay Oracle licenses. Just thought all you
people who work long and hard on PostgreSQL would like to hear about a real
live site that has made a real commitment to PostgreSQL, and thanks for your
efforts.

Re: FYI: How we use PostgreSQL

From
Date:
>> Hi, I just want you guys to know how great PostgreSQL really is.

Agreed!  We have a similar success story with our client Flower.com.  This
system is completely based on postgresql, and although we are generally
doing more simple queries on the frontend site - postgresql backs all of
our CRM and Analytical apps without a hitch.

Postgres has saved our client's money and it keeps morale up at our
company because everyone enjoys postgres so much.

Excellent Work Postgres Dev Team!

BTW, Mark - we have been using your msessions on our Linux cluster - it's
great keep up the good work as well!

Sincerely,

Ryan Mahoney
CTO Payment Alliance, Inc.

Re: FYI: How we use PostgreSQL

From
"Christopher Kings-Lynne"
Date:
> Agreed!  We have a similar success story with our client Flower.com.  This
> system is completely based on postgresql, and although we are generally
> doing more simple queries on the frontend site - postgresql backs all of
> our CRM and Analytical apps without a hitch.
>
> Postgres has saved our client's money and it keeps morale up at our
> company because everyone enjoys postgres so much.
>
> Excellent Work Postgres Dev Team!

Well if we're doing the 'success stories' thing...

I'm the Lead Programmer for the Family Health Network - a group responsible
for www.dietclub.com.au and www.calorieking.com and others.  Both these
sites are rapidly getting more and more popular.  PostgreSQL is an essential
part of our enterprise - as we are a small business and Oracle is
ridiculously expensive.  Plus, I'd be forced to use smelly old Linux instead
of our much-beloved FreeBSD :)

We started out using MySQL, but soon realised that it simply could not do
things that Posgres could - and put waaay too much work in the hands of our
web programmers.  (App programmers shouldn't have to worry about referential
integrity, etc.).

We run 7.1.3 on both servers, and are going to go to 7.2 in Australia when
it comes out.  If it's a nice, stable release (which it sure looks like it's
going to be!) it will be rolled out in the USA as well.

The things that we need most from postgres in the future is better schema
manipulation.  I know the standard response to questions like 'why can't I
drop a column' and 'why can't I change a column to be NULL' is usually
"design your schema right in the first place", however our industry moves
very quickly and our initial schemas always need some refinement as new
features are added.

I can't emphasise enough how great Postgres has been for us!!!  (I've
converted all my MySQL friends :) )

Chris