Install with Apache/PHP (Was "Stubborn Multibyte") - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karen Ellrick
Subject Install with Apache/PHP (Was "Stubborn Multibyte")
Date
Re: Install with Apache/PHP (Was "Stubborn Multibyte")  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-general
Update on my problem: I had another machine waiting in the wings, that would
eventually replace the one I am having trouble with regarding the multibyte
complaint.  I decided to try installing PostgreSQL 7.1.1 on that one, and it
worked.  So if I can get everything else working on the new machine, I will
just swap it out and ignore the fact that the present machine is being
mysteriously stubborn about multibyte errors.

However, on the new machine (which is also RedHat 6.1J), when I tried my
tried-and-true sequence of configuring/compiling/installing the combination
of Apache and PHP4 with related PostgreSQL files, I ran into a different
problem.  This is my sequence, after untarring all three packages
(theoretically it doesn't matter whether I install pgsql first or last, as
long as the untarred directory is there):
   cd apache_1.3.17
   ./configure –-prefix=/usr/apache
   cd ../php-4.0

 ./configure –-with-apache=../apache_1.3.17 –-with-pgsql=../postgresql-7.1.1
   make
   make install
   cd ../apache_1.3.17

./configure –-prefix=/usr/apache –-activate-module=src/modules/php4/libphp4.
   make
   make install

But this time (never before on two other machines) I get the following error
during PHP's make:
   In file included from pgsql.c:29:
   php_pgsql.h:32: postgres.h: No such file or directory

Anyone done this before, and had this message?  I am using the same tarballs
for PHP and Apache that I used on the previous two installations.  After it
failed the first time, I even tried untarring the previously used tarball
for postgresql (7.0.2) and pointing to it during configure, but the same
error appeared.  There are no shortage of files called postgres.h on the
machine, but I don't know where it is looking, and I don't think I should
have to start disecting the Makefile.  It worked before, so it shouldn't be
a typo or incompatibility, should it?

Karen Ellrick
S & C Technology, Inc.
1-21-35 Kusatsu-shinmachi
Hiroshima  733-0834  Japan
(from U.S. 011-81, from Japan 0) 82-293-2838