Re: can't start as root - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Richard Huxton
Subject Re: can't start as root
Date
List pgsql-general
From: "Lee Johnson" <lee@imyourhandiman.com>

> trying ( new at this ) to start postmaster so i can utilize pgaccess to
> create database etc. but even if I start desktop as user other than
> "root" it still gives me the "root" error that I can't start as user
> root......
>
> RH 7.1 current/gnome 1.4 current

Admin tasks (starting database server, adding new users etc) should be done
as user "postgres". If RH is automatically starting the server (see in
/etc/rc.d/init.d or /etc/init.d) it will do something like "su - postgres -c
..." in the startup script.

If you don't know the password for postgres, su - to root first then su -
postgres from there.

- Richard Huxton