Stubborn Multibyte - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Karen Ellrick
Subject Stubborn Multibyte
Date
List pgsql-general
I am working for a company in Japan.  I have two RedHat 6.1J machines that I
want Postgres on.  On one of them, I installed postgresql 7.0.2 RPMs off of
a CD I received, and everything works fine.  The second (same OS), has given
me nothing but trouble.  I installed the RPMs, and then when I tried to use
"createdb", it protested "MultiByte strings (MB) must be enabled to use this
function".  All the scoop I could find about that talked about
using --enable-multibyte during configure before compilation.  Hmm - can't
do that with an RPM.  So I removed the RPMs, downloaded the source for
7.1.1, configured, compiled, and installed, dutifully following the
instructions in postgresql.org's multibyte.html document.  These are the
commands I used:
   ./configure --enable-multibyte=EUC_JP --with-perl --with-odbc
   make
   make install
   su postgres
   /usr/local/pgsql/bin/initdb -D /usr/local/pgsql/data -E EUC_JP
   /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postmaster -D /usr/local/pgsql/data

Up to that point, everything was fine, except that the installation
instructions seem to think that /usr/local/pgsql/bin would somehow be added
to $PATH (all the examples of using commands specify no path).  But then,
the first time I tried createdb, it said "/usr/bin/postgres: cannot locate
executable" - why it wasn't looking in /usr/local/pgsql/bin I don't know.
So I copied /usr/local/pgsql/bin/postgres to /usr/bin - if that is a bad
idea, someone let me know (I figure when I have to do hacks like copying
files and adding things to $PATH after installation, something went wrong,
but...).  Then I tried createdb again, and got the same message as with the
RPMs - "MultiByte strings (MB) must be enabled to use this function"!  Argh!

Does somebody have any idea what is going wrong?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Karen Ellrick
S & C Technology, Inc.
1-21-35 Kusatsu-shinmachi
Hiroshima  733-0834  Japan
(from U.S. 011-81, from Japan 0) 82-293-2838