Re: Throttling Streamming Replication - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Scott Marlowe
Subject Re: Throttling Streamming Replication
Date
List pgsql-general
On Fri, Jan 25, 2013 at 5:59 AM, Rodrigo Pereira da Silva
<rodrigo@paripassu.com.br> wrote:
> Hi Guys,
>
> We are having a problem with our infrastructure provider because the network
> traffic between master and slave server is reaching more than 30k packages
> per second(SLA says 20k/second).
> Is there any way to throttle the streamming replication? I meant, any
> parameter that I set the max number of megabytes sent to standby server per
> second?
> I didn't have any luck looking at the postgresql streamming replication
> documentation. There is the wal_sender_delay, but I suppose that if I set
> more than 1 second, it could accumulate a bunch of wal files and send it at
> once. So, it wouldn't work.

Assuming these machines are near each other the answer is simple,
install a NIC in each one and give them their own private connection
to each other.

If they're distant from each other, stop using streaming replication
and use log archiving with mass transfer every x minutes or hours.

If they are on virtual machines then there's the problem right there.