Range for user-defined SQLSTATE codes - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Ian Pilcher
Subject Range for user-defined SQLSTATE codes
Date
List pgsql-general
I can't be the first person (or even the 10,000th) to want to define my
own SQLSTATE codes when raising errors in a stored procedure.  I've
just tested doing so in a PL/pgSQL function access via JDBC, and I had
no problem retrieving the non-standard state from the SQLException.  (I
used 'WWWWW' and 'ZZZZZ' as my tests.)

Is there anything like a standard range -- formal or otherwise -- for
such codes?  A best practice?  A general consensus?  A half-painted
bike shed?

Thanks!