Re: create subscription - improved warning message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Smith
Subject Re: create subscription - improved warning message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 7:11 PM shiy.fnst@fujitsu.com
<shiy.fnst@fujitsu.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your patch. Here are some comments.
>
> In Example 2, the returned slot_name should be "myslot".
>
> +test_pub=# SELECT * FROM pg_create_logical_replication_slot('myslot', 'pgoutput');
> + slot_name |    lsn
> +-----------+-----------
> + sub1      | 0/19059A0
> +(1 row)

Oops. Sorry for my cut/paste error. Fixed in patch v6.

> Besides, I am thinking is it possible to slightly simplify the example. For
> example, merge example 1 and 2, keep the steps of example 2 and in the step of
> creating slot, mention what should we do if slot_name is not specified when
> creating subscription.

Sure, it might be a bit shorter to combine the examples, but I thought
it’s just simpler not to do it that way because the combined example
will then need additional bullets/notes to say – “if there is no
slot_name do this…” and “if there is a slot_name do that…”. It’s
really only the activation part which is identical for both.

-----
Kind Regards,
Peter Smith.
Fujitsu Australia