Re: create subscription - improved warning message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Peter Smith
Subject Re: create subscription - improved warning message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks for the feedback.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 10:14 PM Amit Kapila <amit.kapila16@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 7:17 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > Updated as sugggested.
> >

> +   <para>
> +    Sometimes, either by choice (e.g. <literal>create_slot = false</literal>),
> +    or by necessity (e.g. <literal>connect = false</literal>), the remote
> +    replication slot is not created automatically during
> +    <literal>CREATE SUBSCRIPTION</literal>. In these cases the user will have
> +    to create the slot manually before the subscription can be activated.
> +   </para>
>
> This part looks a bit odd when in the previous section we have
> explained the same thing in different words. I think it may be better
> if we start with something like: "As mentioned in the previous
> section, there are cases where we need to create the slot manually
> before the subscription can be activated.". I think you can even
> combine the next para in the patch with this one.

Modified the text and combined the paragraphs as suggested.

> Also, it looks odd that the patch uses examples to demonstrate how to
> manually create a slot, and then we have a separate section whose
> title is Examples. I am not sure what is the best way to arrange docs
> here but maybe we can consider renaming the Examples section to
> something more specific.

Renamed the examples sections to make their purpose clearer.

~~~

PSA patch v6 with the above changes + one correction from Shi-san [1]

------
[1]
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/OSZPR01MB631051BA9AAA728CAA8CBD88FD299%40OSZPR01MB6310.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com

Kind Regards,