Re: create subscription - improved warning message - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Amit Kapila
Subject Re: create subscription - improved warning message
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 17, 2022 at 7:17 AM Peter Smith <smithpb2250@gmail.com> wrote:

> Updated as sugggested.

+   <para>
+    Sometimes, either by choice (e.g. <literal>create_slot = false</literal>),
+    or by necessity (e.g. <literal>connect = false</literal>), the remote
+    replication slot is not created automatically during
+    <literal>CREATE SUBSCRIPTION</literal>. In these cases the user will have
+    to create the slot manually before the subscription can be activated.
+   </para>

This part looks a bit odd when in the previous section we have
explained the same thing in different words. I think it may be better
if we start with something like: "As mentioned in the previous
section, there are cases where we need to create the slot manually
before the subscription can be activated.". I think you can even
combine the next para in the patch with this one.

Also, it looks odd that the patch uses examples to demonstrate how to
manually create a slot, and then we have a separate section whose
title is Examples. I am not sure what is the best way to arrange docs
here but maybe we can consider renaming the Examples section to
something more specific.

--
With Regards,
Amit Kapila.