Re: Calculage avg. width when operator = is missing - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Shulgin, Oleksandr
Subject Re: Calculage avg. width when operator = is missing
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Tue, Sep 22, 2015 at 11:43 PM, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote:
> In any case I think your patch is a good starting point.

The comments seemed to need some wordsmithing, but I think this is
probably basically a good idea; we've had similar complaints before
about some other equality-less datatypes, such as point.

Should we consider this HEAD-only, or a back-patchable bug fix?
Or perhaps compromise on HEAD + 9.5?

I failed to realize that the complaint I've referred to regarding all too wide samples was addressed back then by this commit: 6286526207d53e5b31968103adb89b4c9cd21499

For what it's worth, that time the decision was "This has been like this since roughly neolithic times, so back-patch to all supported branches."  Does the same logic not apply here?

--
Alex