Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ? - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Lætitia Avrot
Subject Re: pg_dump new feature: exporting functions only. Bad or good idea ?
Date
List pgsql-hackers

> On Fri, Jul 9, 2021 at 4:43 PM Tomas Vondra <tomas.vondra@enterprisedb.com> wrote:
>
> The main question I have is whether this should include procedures. I'd
> probably argue procedures should be considered different from functions
> (i.e. requiring a separate --procedures-only option), because it pretty
> much is meant to be a separate object type. We don't allow calling DROP
> FUNCTION on a procedure, etc. It'd be silly to introduce an unnecessary
> ambiguity in pg_dump and have to deal with it sometime later.

I respectfully disagree. In psql, the `\ef` and `\df` metacommands will also list procedures, not just functions. So at one point we agreed to consider for this client that functions were close enough to procedures to use a simple metacommand to list/display without distinction. Why should it be different for `pg_dump` ?

Have a nice day,

Lætitia