Re: error on online backup using pg_basebackup tool - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Joseph Kregloh
Subject Re: error on online backup using pg_basebackup tool
Date
List pgsql-general

On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 4:41 PM, Gerdan Rezende dos Santos <gerdan@gmail.com> wrote:
On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 5:01 PM, Martín Marqués <martin@2ndquadrant.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 3, 2015 at 7:20 AM, Martín Marqués <martin@2ndquadrant.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> El 03/09/15 a las 00:54, Gerdan Rezende dos Santos escribió:
>> >

>> > In other server with same configuration the proccess not complete too!
>>
>> Add --verbose to the pg_basebackup execution and send over the output
>> error message.
>>
>> I find your procedure confusing, and I'd recommend you *not* to put
>> tablespaces in $PGDTA/pg_tblspc/. That directory is for postgres to put
>> the links to where the actual tablespace is (normally on another
>> partition)
>
> This message on verbose mode: pg_basebackup: directory "/data/pg_tblspc/"
> exists but is not empty

The error message is quite clear, it has to use /data/pg_tblspc/ to
put a tablespace, but that directory is not empty.

Why are you putting tablespaces inside PGDATA? It really makes no
sense. Just leave the objects you have there in the default
tablespace.

Regards,

--
Martín Marqués                http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/

This problem, I found in my client ...
Why are you putting in PGDATA table ? He can not say to me
The solution then is to continue using the start_backup , rsync and stop_backup. ;(

You can always move the folder out of there. Depending on the version of PostgreSQL different steps need to be take. If I remember correctly for version 9.3 you can move the symlink to point to the new directory. Pre 9.3 you need to move the symlink and the pointer inside the pg tables.

-Joseph Kregloh

Thanks!