Re: Collation version tracking for macOS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Thomas Munro
Subject Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 8:38 AM Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> On Tue, 2022-11-29 at 10:46 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > One bit of weirdness is that I may have found another ICU problem.
>
> Reported as:
>
> https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/ICU-22216

I'm no expert on loader/linker arcana but I have a feeling this is a
dead end.  It's an ancient Unix or at least elf-era Unix convention
that SONAMEs have major versions only, because major versions are the
basis of ABI stability.

As a workaround with an already built ICU, I think you could use elf
editing tools like "patchelf" to change the SONAME and DT_NEEDED to
include the minor version.  Or you could convince the build/link
scripts to set them that way in the first place, but no distro would
want to do that as it would cause lots of executables to fail to load
when the next ICU minor comes out.