Re: Collation version tracking for macOS - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jeff Davis
Subject Re: Collation version tracking for macOS
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, 2022-11-30 at 10:52 +1300, Thomas Munro wrote:
> On Wed, Nov 30, 2022 at 8:38 AM Jeff Davis <pgsql@j-davis.com> wrote:
> > On Tue, 2022-11-29 at 10:46 -0800, Jeff Davis wrote:
> > > One bit of weirdness is that I may have found another ICU
> > > problem.
> >
> > Reported as:
> >
> > https://unicode-org.atlassian.net/browse/ICU-22216
>
> I'm no expert on loader/linker arcana but I have a feeling this is a
> dead end.  It's an ancient Unix or at least elf-era Unix convention
> that SONAMEs have major versions only, because major versions are the
> basis of ABI stability.

It's possible that it's more a problem of how they are doing it: the
specific version is coming from a dependency rather than the library
itself. The results are surprising, so I figured it's worth a report.
Let's see what they say.

Regardless, even if they did make a change, it's not going to help us
anytime soon. We can't rely on any scheme that involves multiple minor
versions for a single major version being installed at once. That means
that, if you create a collation depending on ICU X.Y, and then it gets
upgraded to X.(Y+1), and you create another collation depending on that
library version, you are stuck.

--
Jeff Davis
PostgreSQL Contributor Team - AWS