Re: psql symbol lookup error - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Merlin Moncure
Subject Re: psql symbol lookup error
Date
List pgsql-general
On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 1:24 PM, Rich Shepard <rshepard@appl-ecosys.com> wrote:
>  I have -9.0.1 installed in /usr/local/pgsql and my accounting software
> (Ledger123) can access its data there. However, when I try to run 'psql
> aesi' (the L123 database), which is owned by me, on the command line I see:
>
> [rshepard@salmo ~]$ psql aesi
> psql: symbol lookup error: psql: undefined symbol: PQconnectdbParams
>
>  I've not encountered this with previous versions of postgres installed in
> /var/lib/pgsql/. I would like to understand why I get this error trying to
> run on the command line while L123 apparently has no problems using the
> httpd/firefox front ends.

you have an older version of libpq in your library path, probably in
/usr/lib.  To confirm this, try:

DYLD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/pgsql/lib psql

and it should work. It's probably not a good idea to permanently set
your library path this way via the environment, google osx library
path.

merlin