Re: hba load error and silent mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Magnus Hagander
Subject Re: hba load error and silent mode
Date
Re: hba load error and silent mode  (Joshua Tolley <eggyknap@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Aug 24, 2009 at 14:39, Andrew Dunstan<andrew@dunslane.net> wrote:

> Last night I had to deal with a puzzled user of version 8.4  who found
> postgres refused to start but didn't log any error.  It turned out that
> there was an error in the pg_hba.conf file, and the client was running in
> silent mode (the SUSE default).
>
> This seems like a bug, and it's certainly not very postgres-like behaviour.
>
> Can we move the call to hba_load() in postmaster.c down a bit so it occurs
> after the SysLogger is set up? ISTM we really need an absolute minimum of
> code between the call to pmdaemonize() and SysLogger_Start().

I can see other reasons that this would be good, so +1 from me unless
there is any specific reason we can't start it earlier.

> (Maybe there's a good case for deprecating silent mode. I'm not sure why
> Suse uses it. Other distros don't seem to feel the need.)

Could be, but even with silent_mode=off that would be a problem, no?
as in, the log wouldn't go where you'd expect it to go.