hba load error and silent mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject hba load error and silent mode
Date
Re: hba load error and silent mode  (Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us>)
List pgsql-hackers
Last night I had to deal with a puzzled user of version 8.4  who found
postgres refused to start but didn't log any error.  It turned out that
there was an error in the pg_hba.conf file, and the client was running
in silent mode (the SUSE default).

This seems like a bug, and it's certainly not very postgres-like behaviour.

Can we move the call to hba_load() in postmaster.c down a bit so it
occurs after the SysLogger is set up? ISTM we really need an absolute
minimum of code between the call to pmdaemonize() and SysLogger_Start().

(Maybe there's a good case for deprecating silent mode. I'm not sure why
Suse uses it. Other distros don't seem to feel the need.)

cheers

andrew