Re: hba load error and silent mode - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andrew Dunstan
Subject Re: hba load error and silent mode
Date
List pgsql-hackers

Magnus Hagander wrote:
>> (Maybe there's a good case for deprecating silent mode. I'm not sure why
>> Suse uses it. Other distros don't seem to feel the need.)
>>

> Could be, but even with silent_mode=off that would be a problem, no?
> as in, the log wouldn't go where you'd expect it to go.

It would go to stderr, and then I would have seen it. Silent mode
apparently sends stderr to the bit bucket until the syslogger is set up.
I found where the error was by running postmaster under strace, but
that's really rather icky.

cheers

andrew