Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:12:35AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> AFAIKS, the protocol needs to be tweaked to return at a minimum the
>> currval for the first serial in the row, but more correctly all of
>> the modified currval's  for an insert

> In what sense? It seems to do exactly what you want. The example in the
> documentation is:

> INSERT INTO films (title) VALUES ('Yojimbo') RETURNING film_id;

What Dave wants is for INSERT to automagically return any autogenerated
keys, *without* any explicit RETURNING clause.

I don't think that's a reasonable request, however: it amounts to a
request to break the protocol and impose possibly-useless overhead on
everyone's inserts, in order to save the JDBC driver some work in
analyzing table metadata.