PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
karen hill
Date:
Autovacuum is getting put into the 8.1 release which
is awesome.  A lot of us are wondering now that
PostgreSQL has all the features that many of us need,
what are the features being planned for future
releases?

What do you see for 8.2 and beyond? What type of
features are you devs planning for 9.0?  It would be
good if you could put up a place on your site so we
mortals can drool over up-coming postgresql features.

__________________________________
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
Rod Taylor
Date:
On Fri, 2005-10-14 at 09:57 -0700, karen hill wrote:
> Autovacuum is getting put into the 8.1 release which
> is awesome.  A lot of us are wondering now that
> PostgreSQL has all the features that many of us need,
> what are the features being planned for future
> releases?

You know, as PostgreSQL becomes more advanced I find the features on my
"wanted" list growing instead of shrinking.

The reason for this is that I use it in wider and more varied
situations.

I am fairly sure there are easily 5 years worth of work remaining at the
current development pace.

> What do you see for 8.2 and beyond? What type of
> features are you devs planning for 9.0?  It would be

Here is a summary of the last time this question was asked. Around when
8.0 was about to be released so a small percentage of these might be
done.

Of course, there is also everything in the TODO list and a large part of
the SQL Specs to be implemented on top of all of the below.

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faqs.TODO.html
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.0/interactive/unsupported-features-sql-standard.html

Dave Fetter:       * optional interface which sends a row typeoid along with each       row in a result set       *
morevisibility from RULEs into the expression tree generated       by the parser and/or other RULEs       * SQL/MED (or
atleast things that would make it easier to       implement)       * Debugging hooks into all the PLs       * Some way
ofestimating a "query progress meter" for       long-running queries       * MULTISET, COLLECT, UNNEST, FUSION,
INTERSECT             MERGE! MERGE! MERGE! MERGE! MERGE! MERGE!

Gavin Sherry:       Grouping sets       Recursive queries       Window functions       Updatable views       Updatable
cursors      Materialised views       Debug-able PL/PgSQL -- EXPLAIN [ANALYZE] functionality, step       through?
Costestimation for functions -- perhaps a pipe dream, I know              Performance:              Better bulk load
  'Continuous' vacuum at a fraction of the IO cost of normal       vacuum       Multimaster replication       General
OLTPthroughput improvements -- where and how, I'm not       sure.              Indexes:              Bitmap indexes (as
opposedto bitmap scans)

Merlin Moncure:       1. Proper row constructor, such that        select (1,2,1) > (2,1,1);       returns the right
answer,       and        select * from t where (t1,t2,t3) > (c1, c2, c3) order by       t1,t2,t3 limit       1
returnsthe right answer and uses a index on t1,t2,t3 if it       exists.              this is on the TODO.
2.In the planner, a parameterized limit for prepared statements       to       assume a small value (like 1).
  3. Ability to create arrays of composite types (and nest them).

William Zhang:       * Updatable Views per SQL       * INTERVAL data type per SQL       * BLOB/CLOB data type per SQL
   * Faster bulk load       * Remove "current transaction is aborted, commands ignored ..."       * Compile with MSVC
onWin32 platforms. MySQL support it.       * Thread safety libpq, ecpg.

Chris Browne:       - Vacuum Space Map - Maintain a map of recently-expired rows                  This allows vacuum to
targetspecific pages for possible       free           space without requiring a sequential scan.              -
Deferrableunique constraint              - Probably trivially easy would be to add an index to       pg_listener
     - Tougher but better would be to have pg_listener be an       in-memory         structure rather than being
physicallyrepresented as a table              - MERGE / UPSERT              - Config file "#includes" for
postgresql.conf,pg_hba.conf              - Some better ability to terminate backends               - Automatically
updatableviews (per SQL 99)

Ron Mayer:       Standards stuff:                * Updateable views (easier to use Ruby/Rails's ActiveRecord on
legacydata)         * The elementary OLAP stuff              Contrib related stuff:                * Contrib/xml2
workingwith XML Namespaces.         * Some sort of GIST index for querying XML data (XPath?       SQL/XML?)
  * The array functions and indexes from contrib/intarray           and contrib/intagg made more general to work with
other          data types. (I find these contrib modules quite useful)              Annoyances:                * more
sanemath with intervals. For example, try:           select '0.01 years'::interval, '0.01 months'::interval;
 Ease of use:                * Nice defaults for autovacuum and checkpoints and bgwriter           that automatically
avoidbig I/O spikes by magically           distributing I/O in a nice way.              Easier COPY for client library
authors:               * A way to efficiently insert many values like COPY from STDIN           from client libraries
thatdon't support COPY from STDIN.           Perhaps it could happen through the apparently standards
compliant          "INSERT INTO table VALUES (1,2),(3,4),(5,6)"   [feature id       F641]           or perhaps through
anew           COPY tablename FROM STRING 'a big string instead of stdin'           feature that would be easier for
clientsto support?                  It seems in most new client libraries COPY FROM STDIN           stays broken for
quitea long time.  Would a           alternative COPY FROM A_BIG_STRING be easier for them           to support and
thereforeavailable more often?              Meta-stuff                * A failover plus load-balancing (pgpool+slony?)
        installer for dummies that handles simple cases.                * A single place to find all the useful
non-corestuff           like projects on pgfoundry, gborg, contrib, and           various other places around the net
(PL/RPL/Ruby Postgis).           Perhaps if the postgresql website had a small wiki           somewhere where anyone
couldadd links with a short           description to any such projects it'd be easier to           know what's out
there...               * Nice APIs and documentation [probably already exists]           to continue encouraging
projectslike PostGIS and PL/R           that IMHO are the biggest advantage of postgresql over           the commercial
vendors'offerings.

Heikki Linnakangas:       * concurrent, partial vacuum that would for example only scan       pages that        happen
tobe in memory       * index-only scans       * database assertions              * lightwight PITR that wouldn't
requireto shut down and restore       a backup.        I'm thinking something like "REWIND TO xid 12345". It could be
   implemented        by just setting already-committed transactions as aborted in the       clog       (vacuum and
commitstatus hint bits need to be disabled       beforehand). This        would be very handy for automatic regression
testing      applications. You        could load the test database just once, then run test case,       rewind, run
  another test case, rewind and so on.              As more disruptive longer-term things:              * multiple
alternativeaccess plans for prepared statements. For       example,        if you have a query like "SELECT * FROM
historyWHERE timestamp       BETWEEN ?        AND ?", the optimal access plan depends a lot on the parameters.
Postgres       could keep all the plans that are optimal for some combination       of        parameters, and choose
themost efficient one at execution time       depending        on the parameters. The execution side would actually be
quite      simple to        implement. Introduce a new conditional node type that has > 1       child        nodes, and
acondition that is evaluated at execution time and       determines        which child node to use. Determining the
conditionswould       require big        changes to the planner and estimation routines.              * support for
TutorialD as an alternative to SQL. It would be       great for        educational purposes.

My own wish list:       * Identity/generator support (per standard)       * Merge (update/insert as required)       *
Multi-CPUsorts. Take a large single sort like an index       creation and split the work among multiple CPUs.

--

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
"Kevin McArthur"
Date:
Don't forget insert/update returning. With the deprecation of OID's this
functionality is becoming more and more important when using custom types
and column defaults.

Some method for plpgsql to handle the result sets returned and save to a
variable would be important for this feature too. Select into works but it
would be silly to see something like select a into somevariable from (insert
into tablename (a) default values returning a) instead of an extension to
the insert statement itself.

Kevin McArthur

> [...]
>        depending
>        on the parameters. The execution side would actually be quite
>        simple to
>        implement. Introduce a new conditional node type that has > 1
>        child
>        nodes, and a condition that is evaluated at execution time and
>        determines
>        which child node to use. Determining the conditions would
>        require big
>        changes to the planner and estimation routines.
>
>        * support for Tutorial D as an alternative to SQL. It would be
>        great for
>        educational purposes.
>
> My own wish list:
>        * Identity/generator support (per standard)
>        * Merge (update/insert as required)
>        * Multi-CPU sorts. Take a large single sort like an index
>        creation and split the work among multiple CPUs.

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

Martijn van Oosterhout
Date:
On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 01:20:45AM -0700, Kevin McArthur wrote:
> Don't forget insert/update returning. With the deprecation of OID's this
> functionality is becoming more and more important when using custom types
> and column defaults.

I use currval/nextval and have never actually needed such a feature,
though I can imagine it might be useful.

ISTM though this wouldn't be too hard to do. The executor already
takes a pointer to the function to send the output rows to. So, fiddle
the toplevel plannode to add the returning columns to the output and
when it receives the tuple split it into the part to be inserted and
the part to be returned.

> Some method for plpgsql to handle the result sets returned and save to a
> variable would be important for this feature too. Select into works but it
> would be silly to see something like select a into somevariable from (insert
> into tablename (a) default values returning a) instead of an extension to
> the insert statement itself.

How do other databases deal with this?

Have a nice day,

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
Neil Conway
Date:
On Sun, 2005-16-10 at 01:20 -0700, Kevin McArthur wrote:
> Don't forget insert/update returning.

Omar Kilani has a patch for this:

http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2005-07/msg00568.php

I would like to see it get into 8.2

-Neil

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

Date:
Neil Conway wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-16-10 at 01:20 -0700, Kevin McArthur wrote:
> > Don't forget insert/update returning.
>
> Omar Kilani has a patch for this:
>
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2005-07/msg00568.php
>
> I would like to see it get into 8.2

Yes, this is in the 8.2 patches queue:
http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches_hold

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
Dave Cramer
Date:
I fail to see how this solves the problem of getting auto generated
keys.

AFAIKS, the protocol needs to be tweaked to return at a minimum the
currval for the first serial in the row, but more correctly all of
the modified currval's  for an insert

if we had that then we could correctly implement getAutoGeneratedKeys
for jdbc.

Dave
On 17-Oct-05, at 8:33 AM, Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Neil Conway wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 2005-16-10 at 01:20 -0700, Kevin McArthur wrote:
>>
>>> Don't forget insert/update returning.
>>>

>> Omar Kilani has a patch for this:
>>
>> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2005-07/msg00568.php
>>
>> I would like to see it get into 8.2
>>

> Yes, this is in the 8.2 patches queue:
>
>     http://momjian.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/pgpatches_hold

>   +  Christ can be your backup.        |  Newtown Square,
> Pennsylvania 19073

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
"Kevin McArthur"
Date:
I've not actually looked in the source but i presume that insert returning
would work internally similar to a select in an update_after or insert_after
trigger.
If so then it should not care that an entry is a sequence or otherwise, it
should care what the actual data in the table is. It must work on the actual
data to properly work with defaults that are a product of a function that is
not a serial. Eg a uniqueidentifier's newid() func.

I could be wrong. But insert returning without picking up column defaults
would be extremely useless. getAutoGeneratedKeys in jdbc seems like it would
be a very useful interface, so if  this patch doesnt support implementing
this, someone should fix that. (I'd check/fix it myself, but i don't have
much of a clue when it comes to c programming)

Kevin McArthur

Date:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:12:35AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> I fail to see how this solves the problem of getting auto generated
> keys.
>
> AFAIKS, the protocol needs to be tweaked to return at a minimum the
> currval for the first serial in the row, but more correctly all of
> the modified currval's  for an insert

In what sense? It seems to do exactly what you want. The example in the
documentation is:

INSERT INTO films (title) VALUES ('Yojimbo') RETURNING film_id; film_id---------     123

The protocol allows you to return a result set for any command already
so I don't think there's any protocol changes at all. You don't even
need to know the name of the sequence which is something I wasn't even
hoping for. Well done...

> if we had that then we could correctly implement getAutoGeneratedKeys
> for jdbc.

There is a function now to return the sequence associated with a table
so I think this would be quite straightforward actually, assuming you
know the table being operated on.

Have a nice day,

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

Date:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:12:35AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>> AFAIKS, the protocol needs to be tweaked to return at a minimum the
>> currval for the first serial in the row, but more correctly all of
>> the modified currval's  for an insert

> In what sense? It seems to do exactly what you want. The example in the
> documentation is:

> INSERT INTO films (title) VALUES ('Yojimbo') RETURNING film_id;

What Dave wants is for INSERT to automagically return any autogenerated
keys, *without* any explicit RETURNING clause.

I don't think that's a reasonable request, however: it amounts to a
request to break the protocol and impose possibly-useless overhead on
everyone's inserts, in order to save the JDBC driver some work in
analyzing table metadata.
        regards, tom lane

Date:
On 17-Oct-05, at 12:43 PM, Tom Lane wrote:

> Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog@svana.org> writes:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 09:12:35AM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>>
>>> AFAIKS, the protocol needs to be tweaked to return at a minimum the
>>> currval for the first serial in the row, but more correctly all of
>>> the modified currval's  for an insert
>>>

>> In what sense? It seems to do exactly what you want. The example
>> in the
>> documentation is:
>>

>> INSERT INTO films (title) VALUES ('Yojimbo') RETURNING film_id;
>>

> What Dave wants is for INSERT to automagically return any
> autogenerated
> keys, *without* any explicit RETURNING clause.

Yes, this is the essence of what would be required.
> I don't think that's a reasonable request, however: it amounts to a
> request to break the protocol and impose possibly-useless overhead on
> everyone's inserts, in order to save the JDBC driver some work in
> analyzing table metadata.

The JDBC problem at hand is there is a method which allows one to
retrieve the
autogenerated keys from an insert. I can understand Tom's argument
here. It should
be possible for the driver to build a query from the meta data.

On the other hand given that all of the serial increments are stored
in the session is it possible to
get the results of the last insert on the session ? If we can avoid
the extra query so much
the better, but either way is better than what we have ?

Dave

>             regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
Andrew Dunstan

Dave Cramer wrote:

> On the other hand given that all of the serial increments are stored
> in the session is it possible to
> get the results of the last insert on the session ? If we can avoid
> the extra query so much
> the better, but either way is better than what we have ?

Would that not be the new lastval() function ?

cheers

andrew

Date:
On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 01:32:22PM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> The JDBC problem at hand is there is a method which allows one to
> retrieve the
> autogenerated keys from an insert. I can understand Tom's argument
> here. It should
> be possible for the driver to build a query from the meta data.
>
> On the other hand given that all of the serial increments are stored
> in the session is it possible to
> get the results of the last insert on the session ? If we can avoid
> the extra query so much
> the better, but either way is better than what we have ?

ISTM them that the RETURNING patch as given solves your problem nicely.
You don't even have to know the name of the sequence, just the name of
the primary key column. When you see an INSERT append "RETURNING
colname" and you have your answer.

Have a nice day,

Date:
On 17-Oct-05, at 1:43 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:

> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 01:32:22PM -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
>
>> The JDBC problem at hand is there is a method which allows one to
>> retrieve the
>> autogenerated keys from an insert. I can understand Tom's argument
>> here. It should
>> be possible for the driver to build a query from the meta data.
>>
>> On the other hand given that all of the serial increments are stored
>> in the session is it possible to
>> get the results of the last insert on the session ? If we can avoid
>> the extra query so much
>> the better, but either way is better than what we have ?
>>

> ISTM them that the RETURNING patch as given solves your problem
> nicely.
> You don't even have to know the name of the sequence, just the name of
> the primary key column. When you see an INSERT append "RETURNING
> colname" and you have your answer.
Well, the driver still needs to know ahead of time which columns are
going to be autogenerated.

Dave

> Have a nice day,
> --
> Martijn van Oosterhout   <kleptog@svana.org>   http://svana.org/
> kleptog/
>
>> Patent. n. Genius is 5% inspiration and 95% perspiration. A patent
>> is a
>> tool for doing 5% of the work and then sitting around waiting for
>> someone
>> else to do the other 95% so you can sue them.

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
Patrick Bakker
Date:
It would be useful if you could toggle SQL statement logging without
restarting PostgreSQL and additionally if you could turn on selective SQL
logging. Additionally, it would be great if you could log SQL statements to
a separate file from the main log and in such a way that the statements are
seperated in an easily parsed form.

The runtime toggling of statement logging would also be most useful if you
could toggle it outside of a particular session. This is where the selective
SQL logging would be useful I think. Some selectable options that could be
useful:- by database- by user- by IP address

My current understanding, is that statements can be currently selectively
logged by:- whether they cause an error (log_min_error_statement)- whether they exceed a minimum amount of time
(log_min_duration_statement)-ddl and/or data modifications (log_statement)

I have no idea on how feasible this is. If it is feasible and nobody else is
interested in doing it but it would be accepted if somebody would write it,
I would be willing to start investigating how to do it.

Autovacuum is getting put into the 8.1 release which
is awesome.  A lot of us are wondering now that
PostgreSQL has all the features that many of us need,
what are the features being planned for future
releases?

What do you see for 8.2 and beyond? What type of
features are you devs planning for 9.0?  It would be
good if you could put up a place on your site so we
mortals can drool over up-coming postgresql features.

__________________________________
http://www.yahoo.com/r/hs

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

Date:
Patrick Bakker <patrick@vanbelle.com> writes:
> It would be useful if you could toggle SQL statement logging without
> restarting PostgreSQL and additionally if you could turn on selective SQL
> logging. Additionally, it would be great if you could log SQL statements to
> a separate file from the main log and in such a way that the statements are
> seperated in an easily parsed form.

> The runtime toggling of statement logging would also be most useful if you
> could toggle it outside of a particular session. This is where the selective
> SQL logging would be useful I think. Some selectable options that could be
> useful:
>  - by database
>  - by user
>  - by IP address

You do realize that the majority of that can be done today?  You need to
study the available mechanism for setting GUC parameters a little more.
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

Date:
Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com> writes:
> On 17-Oct-05, at 1:43 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> ISTM them that the RETURNING patch as given solves your problem
>> nicely.

> Well, the driver still needs to know ahead of time which columns are
> going to be autogenerated.

Possibly you could define that as "all columns that are not specified in
the INSERT command and have column default expressions".  The first is
knowable with very little parsing of the command, and the second can be
learned from the catalog metadata that you're probably reading anyway.

If the JDBC spec has a more specific definition of "autogenerated" than
"has a default", then what is it?
        regards, tom lane

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
"Jonah H. Harris"
Date:
/me has started working on hierarchical query support that I'd like to get into 8.2.

On 10/17/05, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us > wrote:
Dave Cramer <pg@fastcrypt.com > writes:
> On 17-Oct-05, at 1:43 PM, Martijn van Oosterhout wrote:
>> ISTM them that the RETURNING patch as given solves your problem
>> nicely.

> Well, the driver still needs to know ahead of time which columns are
> going to be autogenerated.

Possibly you could define that as "all columns that are not specified in
the INSERT command and have column default expressions".  The first is
knowable with very little parsing of the command, and the second can be
learned from the catalog metadata that you're probably reading anyway.

If the JDBC spec has a more specific definition of "autogenerated" than
"has a default", then what is it?

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

--
Respectfully,

Jonah H. Harris, Database Internals Architect
EnterpriseDB Corporation
http://www.enterprisedb.com/

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
Andreas Pflug
Tom Lane wrote:

>Patrick Bakker <patrick@vanbelle.com> writes:
>

>>It would be useful if you could toggle SQL statement logging without
>>restarting PostgreSQL and additionally if you could turn on selective SQL
>>logging. Additionally, it would be great if you could log SQL statements to
>>a separate file from the main log and in such a way that the statements are
>>seperated in an easily parsed form.
>>

>>The runtime toggling of statement logging would also be most useful if you
>>could toggle it outside of a particular session. This is where the selective
>>SQL logging would be useful I think. Some selectable options that could be
>>useful:
>> - by database
>> - by user
>> - by IP address
>>

>You do realize that the majority of that can be done today?  You need to
>study the available mechanism for setting GUC parameters a little more.

Not quite, if you want to set it on databases you're not connected to,
i.e. if you want to 'tap' a backend.

Regards,
Andreas

rasmusra@gmail.com
> Gavin Sherry:
>         Grouping sets
>         Recursive queries

The recursive queries is a long-awaited feature. Does the fact that the
feature is listed for Gavin Sherry mean that Gavin is actually working
with the feature at the moment? Does anybody know the current state of
this feature or know when it will be public available?

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond

From
Gavin Sherry
Date:
Hi,

On Tue, 14 Nov 2005 rasmusra@gmail.com wrote:

> > Gavin Sherry:
> >         Grouping sets
> >         Recursive queries
>
> The recursive queries is a long-awaited feature. Does the fact that the
> feature is listed for Gavin Sherry mean that Gavin is actually working
> with the feature at the moment? Does anybody know the current state of
> this feature or know when it will be public available?

I recall suggesting these features as being amongst those in demand. I
don't remember saying that I'd actually do them...

Gavin

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond

From
Chris Browne
Date:
swm@linuxworld.com.au (Gavin Sherry) writes:

> Hi,
>
> On Tue, 14 Nov 2005 rasmusra@gmail.com wrote:
>
>> > Gavin Sherry:
>> >         Grouping sets
>> >         Recursive queries
>>
>> The recursive queries is a long-awaited feature. Does the fact that
>> the feature is listed for Gavin Sherry mean that Gavin is actually
>> working with the feature at the moment? Does anybody know the
>> current state of this feature or know when it will be public
>> available?
>
> I recall suggesting these features as being amongst those in
> demand. I don't remember saying that I'd actually do them...

Jonah Harris appears to be working on the Recursive Queries side of
it...
--
let name="cbbrowne" and tld="cbbrowne.com" in name ^ "@" ^ tld;;
http://www.ntlug.org/~cbbrowne/sap.html

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

Date:
rasmusra@gmail.com wrote:
> > Gavin Sherry:
> >         Grouping sets
> >         Recursive queries
>
> The recursive queries is a long-awaited feature. Does the fact that the
> feature is listed for Gavin Sherry mean that Gavin is actually working
> with the feature at the moment? Does anybody know the current state of
> this feature or know when it will be public available?

No, it just means he has worked on it in the past.  However, I no longer
see his name on the item in the current TODO.

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
Aly Dharshi
Date:
Would the PG Dev group be working on update-able views for 8.2 ? I know that
there is a work-around using rules, the SAMS book does claim that 8.0 has
readonly views. I don't think that this has changed in 8.1 no ?

Cheers,

Aly.

Bruce Momjian wrote:
> rasmusra@gmail.com wrote:
>
>>>Gavin Sherry:
>>>        Grouping sets
>>>        Recursive queries
>>
>>The recursive queries is a long-awaited feature. Does the fact that the
>>feature is listed for Gavin Sherry mean that Gavin is actually working
>>with the feature at the moment? Does anybody know the current state of
>>this feature or know when it will be public available?
>

> No, it just means he has worked on it in the past.  However, I no longer
> see his name on the item in the current TODO.

--
Aly S.P Dharshi
aly.dharshi@telus.net

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
Satoshi Nagayasu
Date:
Hi all,

karen hill wrote:
> What do you see for 8.2 and beyond? What type of
> features are you devs planning for 9.0?  It would be
> good if you could put up a place on your site so we
> mortals can drool over up-coming postgresql features.

I'm wishing
- more audit facilities- pluggable/loadable storage manager (and bufmgr?)- in-memory table

How do you think?
--
NAGAYASU Satoshi <nagayasus@nttdata.co.jp>

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

Date:
Aly Dharshi wrote:
> Would the PG Dev group be working on update-able views for 8.2 ? I know that
> there is a work-around using rules, the SAMS book does claim that 8.0 has
> readonly views. I don't think that this has changed in 8.1 no ?

We don't know what will be in 8.2 until a volunteer does the work.

> Cheers,
>
> Aly.
>
> Bruce Momjian wrote:

> >>The recursive queries is a long-awaited feature. Does the fact that the
> >>feature is listed for Gavin Sherry mean that Gavin is actually working
> >>with the feature at the moment? Does anybody know the current state of
> >>this feature or know when it will be public available?
> >

> > No, it just means he has worked on it in the past.  However, I no longer
> > see his name on the item in the current TODO.
> >

> --
> Aly S.P Dharshi
> aly.dharshi@telus.net
>
>      "A good speech is like a good dress
>       that's short enough to be interesting
>       and long enough to cover the subject"

> TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

Pennsylvania19073

Re: PostgreSQL roadmap for 8.2 and beyond.

From
Bruno Wolff III
Date:
On Mon, Nov 14, 2005 at 17:10:58 -0700, Aly Dharshi <aly.dharshi@telus.net> wrote:
> Would the PG Dev group be working on update-able views for 8.2 ? I know
> that there is a work-around using rules, the SAMS book does claim that 8.0
> has readonly views. I don't think that this has changed in 8.1 no ?

It's not really a work around. Updateable views will likely be built on top
of rules and just provide a more convenient way to do things for the cases
it is clear what updating means.