Re: pgsql and Mac OS X - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Tom Lane
Subject Re: pgsql and Mac OS X
Date
Re: pgsql and Mac OS X  (Michael Glaesemann <grzm@seespotcode.net>)
List pgsql-general
Tom Allison <tom@tacocat.net> writes:
> I found psql in
> /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/rmdb.bundle/bin/psql
> which means that I can, as a user, access the database from a Mac.
> But I'm still unable to build the perl modules for DBD:Pg support.
> And this one seems a bit screwed up from default.
> Port is 5433, not 5432.

Yeah, Apple uses Postgres as a part of Remote Desktop, but I don't think
they intend it for general use --- it deliberately uses a nonstandard
port to avoid conflicting with a regular PG server.  You could probably
use that psql if you explicitly set the port parameter, but that's a bit
of a pain.  They very possibly didn't bother to enable command history
in psql either, if it weren't intended to be used much, and that would
be a real big pain.  Lastly, if the header files aren't included
(haven't checked but seems highly likely) then you'd not be able to
use this installation to build any other PG-using code such as DBD:Pg.

What you can do if you want to build PG from source is build normally
but only install the client programs.  The Fine Manual recommends

     gmake -C src/bin install
     gmake -C src/include install
     gmake -C src/interfaces install
     gmake -C doc install