Re: pgsql and Mac OS X - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Michael Glaesemann
Subject Re: pgsql and Mac OS X
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 30, 2007, at 16:39 , Tom Lane wrote:

> Yeah, Apple uses Postgres as a part of Remote Desktop, but I don't
> think
> they intend it for general use --- it deliberately uses a nonstandard
> port to avoid conflicting with a regular PG server.

Really? I've had the Remote Desktop postgres instance prevent others
from starting on the default port. Matter of fact, I see that it
started up on 5432 just right now. I wonder if the Remote Desktop
doesn't check if something else is running on 5432 on startup and use
another port if it's already in use. Note that I don't think the
Remote Desktop postgres instance starts on system startup; from
observation it looks like Remote Desktop needs to be launched for its
postgres server to start.

Michael Glaesemann
grzm seespotcode net