Re: pgsql and Mac OS X - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Erik Jones
Subject Re: pgsql and Mac OS X
Date
List pgsql-general
On Apr 30, 2007, at 5:03 PM, Tom Allison wrote:

>>> bin/psql
>>>
>>> That's not on my mac.  Must be some bolt-on you installed.
>>
>> Apple Remote Desktop uses PostgreSQL as it's data store (at least
>> through version 2). I believe it's PostgreSQL 7.3, so the psql
>> binary isn't going to be much use in connecting to newer
>> PostgreSQL servers, and in any event I'm pretty sure the Remote
>> Desktop installation does not include the libraries necessary to
>> build the Perl modules, even if they were up to date. Better just
>> to install via MacPorts or even from source: it builds pretty
>> easily on Mac OS X.
>>
>> Michael Glaesemann
>> grzm seespotcode net
>>

> That might be the thing to do.
> I'm wondering how Apple Remote Desktop got onto my machine and how
> to remove it.

For now, I'd just ignore the one installed by Remote Desktop.  Once
you have Macports installed it will place the installation directory
for installed ports before the system directories in your path, or
maybe you'll have to do that, but it'll be spelled out one way or
another in the Macports installation docs.

erik jones <erik@myemma.com>
software developer
615-296-0838
emma(r)