[GENERAL] Postgres HA - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Dylan Luong
Subject [GENERAL] Postgres HA
Date
Re: [GENERAL] Postgres HA  (Venkata B Nagothi <nag1010@gmail.com>)
Re: [GENERAL] Postgres HA  (John R Pierce <pierce@hogranch.com>)
Re: [GENERAL] Postgres HA  (Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais <ioguix@free.fr>)
Re: [GENERAL] Postgres HA  (dinesh kumar <dineshkumar02@gmail.com>)
Re: [GENERAL] Postgres HA  (Julyanto Sutandang <julyanto@equnix.id>)
List pgsql-general

Hi

I am a DBA at the University of South Australia. For PostgreSQL High Availability, we currently have setup a Master/Slave across two datacenters using PostgreSQL (WAL) streaming replication. We use an LTM (load balancer) server that sits between the application servers and the PostgreSQL server that directs connections to the Master (and the Slave if failover occurs). We also have watchdog processes on the PostgreSQL servers that polls the LTM to determine who is Master and perform automatic failover if required. I am looking at options to improve our high availability.

I would like to know how other organizations in different industries (other than education) setup High Availability on their PostgreSQL environments.

What  tools do you use. Are they commercial licensed products? How is the architecture setup and how do you do recovery of new slave.

Your information is greatly appreciated.

Regards

Dylan

Dylan Luong

Information Strategy & Technology Services

University of South Australia

A Building, Room E2-07, Mawson Lakes Campus

MAWSON LAKES

South Australia  5095

Email:        dylan.luong@unisa.edu.au

Phone:    +61 8 83023629